Over the past decade, we have seen an explosion of traffic to metasearch travel sites driven by user preferences in technology. 54% of Chinese, 42% of German and 36% of North American travellers now use metasearch sites to compare rates, according to L2 ThinkTank. So it should come as no surprise to hotel owners that the topic of metasearch is attracting lots of investment and fast becoming the hottest topic within the travel and hospitality industry.
Main advantages for travellers
The value to travellers is unquestionable; they save time and money by comparing lots of prices at a single glance. Furthermore, the search is simple and practical; results include complete details of the properties, reviews and ratings to give a comprehensive overview of the accommodation.
trivago’s hotel metasearch aims to simplify the process of finding the ideal hotel at the right price.
It does this by offering:
- Detailed information of the hotel facilities
- Real-time rates and availability to help find the best deals
- Search customisation through filters such as accommodation type, services, star rating, previously viewed and favorite hotels.
- Aggregated customer reviews from across the web
- A mobile-friendly app for Android and Apple users ‘on-the-go’
Main advantages for hotel owners
Several metasearch engines are now providing hotel owners with the tools to manage their online listing, otherwise known as a profile. Some offer more functions and analytics than others, but they are changing the way hoteliers can best market their properties online.
Proactive hoteliers who use tools such as trivago Hotel Manager, can build a unique profile to attract more attention from travelers and this can result in being ranked up. They do this by displaying engaging imagery and content which draws customers in, attracting them away from less embellished profiles.
Quite simply, spending a few minutes updating your profile on metasearch channels could boost your online marketing strategy. For example, hoteliers in the UK and Ireland who actively manage their hotel profile on trivago receive 4 times more clicks on their hotel deals than those hotels who leave their profile as is. Positioning your hotel more effectively on metasearch engines enables you to focus on what really matters – your guests.
Benefits in summary:
- Overview of different deals available
- Saves time searching multiple websites
- Specific searches for personalised results
For hotel owners:
- Increase online visibility
- Increase bookings
- Monitor rates and image across distribution channels